Sunday, May 3, 2009

what's in a 'guy name'?

When I was in SSS, my seniors thought it'd be 'cool' to give me the name HIGH MORAL! The reason:I looked like a senior who'd completed the school.hmmmm...if you know anything about Ghanaian SSS,when a 'name' is given to you, you don't have a choice to keep it or not, you just kept it(more like the naming ceremony done for us when we are babies!).For some reason also I kept the 'name'; I wrote it on my books...

When I got into the university, my room mates thought it'd 'better' to give me another name.So once again I was 'named' (more like re-named) DJ Nii. lol...reason: I had a collection of CD's and on one of the CD's a track reminded one of my room mates of a girl he'd 'lost' to another guy(poor fella!). This kinda made him hate the song(in a light mannered way though...we laughed at him as you can imagine, and he was really cool about it).
So for some reason or another, DJ Nii stayed till I finished Uni.

Post uni and currently, a colleague of mine thought it'll be more befitting to call me SPLIPPERY! hahahaha. reason: I seemed like a reserved person yet I seemed to be popular with the girls(which is not true...maybe a little true).lol

So!
What 'guy name' do you think I should use? which one do you like most? Is there a need for a 'guy name' at all? Why do we feel compelled to give names to ourselves and to others?

Hmmm, actually I don't mind any of the 'guy names' at all, depending on the name a friend uses, I can know how long the person has known me.

So tell me, what was your 'guy name' when your were in school? Do you still use this name? What were the circumstances under which you 'got' this name?

Till next time when I think out loud,
Be all you can be!

3 comments:

  1. High Moral definitely. sounds fantastic

    Matthew this

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, i like slippery. hehe. My first nickname was esi popcorn and it was given me in class 3! by my class teacher. I was always talking, therefore my name was always in the list of talkertives. So one day when my teacher was calling us to come for the usual lashes, he said esi popcorn, always talking like the way a popcorn machine pops. Some of those who knew me from those days still call me that when they see me.

    ReplyDelete